Monday, July 23, 2007

Pokémon, The Almost, The Smashing Pumpkins

So I've (obviously) never really gotten into Pokémon. I mean, there was a brief period in middle school where I had to, ahem, "catch 'em all" just like everyone else. But they were a Pog to me, a Beanie Babie, a passing fad. Not to say that I was into Beanie Babies for any amount of time, but my sister was. I think it's safe to say they were a fad, no? For those of you who follow Penny Arcade, as every flag-loving American rightly should (You communist. . . .), you know that Gabriel is quite the aficionado. He even goes the spreadsheet route, keeping track of numerical figures for each of his creatures, performing complex math to determine optimal match-ups. Have I beaten Shenmue (40 hours of playable time) in a single weekend? Yes. I am no stranger to "hardcore gaming". But this sounds ridiculous even to me.

Nevertheless, the esteemed artist of the aforementioned webcomic has an interesting post up chronicling his recent trip to a local Pokétournament. I especially enjoyed his chat with a little girl, probably around 10, also participating in this tournament of kid-nerd-glory.

It was actually really cool to see how much these kids love Pokemon. I've been so into it recently that I think I'd forgotten I should be having fun. With my pages of hand written math and charts of carefully plotted out EV training regiments I actually felt sort of dirty. These little kids were showing me teams comprised not of statistically optimal Pokemon but of their favorites. A little girl talked to me for five minutes about why she loved Kyogre so much. When she asked why I used Rotom I couldn't bring myself to tell her that his ghost/electric type meant he had a lot of immunities while giving him some surprising moves that should allow me to cripple sweepers with status effects but still fight off any Dark types I encounter. "I think he's cute." I explained. She smiled and nodded as though this was the reason she had expected to hear.

I would also like to take the time to do a bit of community service in the form of a brief, informal review of the new Smashing Pumpkins album. What can be said about this latest effort that hasn't already been said about a pile of two week old fecal matter? Number one, it stinks. Number two, it's old. Number three, it's a huge pile of crap. If you were to sprinkle said crap pile with a bit of anti-government sentiment, Billy Corgan's trademark voice and style (redeeming the album at rare times), and Jimmy Carpenters always impressive drumming, you would still be left with a crap pile. But, of course, that crap pile would have tiny specks of gold on it. Or something. What does anti-government sentiment look like when crushed into a powder and sprinkled?

I would also like to conclude with a discussion of what I am currently listening to -and- enjoying. The Almost, with all instruments and vocals (aside from a guest appearance on track 4 by Jeremy Enigk of Sunny Day Real Estate, the oft-thought originator of the "emo" genre, as well as The Fire Theft, both excellent bands . . . He also has a side solo project worth checking out.) performed by my musical idol, the drummer and vocalist from Underoath. If you've ever heard Underoath, one of my favorite bands though doubtfully any of yours due to its screaming and hardcore roots, you'd notice not only his impressive kit work but also the fact that his voice is absolutely incredible (he isn't the screamer, he's the singer), made more so by the fact that he sings as he plays. Having seen him live, I can honestly say its a religious experience. With regard to The Almost, there are good and bad tracks. Track 1, Say This Sooner, and the aforementioned Track 4, I Mostly Copy Other People, are definitely the highpoints. Track 3 is terrible. Just don't. The rest is serviceable, but I think at times it is painfully obvious, evidenced by the generic melodies and really bland overall feeling to it, that his skills are in vocals and drums, not in guitar, bass, melody making. Shelley commented that it reminded her a lot of the stuff we used to listen to in high school. Taking Back Sunday, Saves the Day, Brand New. I have no doubt that's why I like the majority of it.

I've also found myself entangled with Architecture in Helsinki's album Fingers Crossed as well as Paramore's two albums, All We Know is Falling and the absolutely incredible must-have (for any lovers of female vocalists and/or indie-pop-rock-emo) Riot!. With regard to Paramore and Riot!, this band totally took me by surprise like no band has done since Copeland or Eisley. I can't seem to get enough. I'm also currently enjoying some Boyz II Men, particularly the ballad entitled "End of the Road", sparked by my unquenchable love for Making the Band 4. I've also been infected by Shop Boyz' "Party Like a Rockstar". Get off me.

Also, in gaming AND music news, apparently there is a rapper named Random who has fashioned an album entitled Mega Ran, which uses old-school Mega Man music as the base for his rhymes. I haven't heard it, or even know where to find it, but rest assured, I will.

No comments: